Compressed Earth Blocks (CEBs) are now the latest rave in disaster-resilient technology internationally. CEBs are bricks are earthen blocks comparable to regular bricks but less expensive. Soil, an easily accessible ingredient, makes up 95% of the brick composition with the remaining 5% as cement. On top of that, CEBs tick most of our check boxes in terms of quality and practicality.
Durability and strength? Check.
Water and fire resilient? Check
Earthquake resilient? Check
Accessibility of ingredients? Check
Provides good ventilation? Check
This is why CEBs are perfect for the Philippines. Philippines is a tropical archipelago surrounded by large bodies of water. This is the main reason why the country experiences more than twenty disastrous typhoons annually.
In response to this situation, IHHELPP purchased CEB machines to assist the poor in building disaster-resilient homes. IHHELPP currently has four fully-functioning CEB presses throughout the Philippines that has provided jobs and helped build more resilient homes for the poor.
Rene Doria, president and founder of IHHELPP states, “Our goal for this purchase is to help the poor in Philippines create affordable houses with quality materials that are better than what they already have. The poor can build stronger houses with less expenses using this machine.”
Sheena and Clyde are 11th graders/writers from Cristo Rey High School in Northern Philippines. They love writing and have won awards in school for it. They see writing for IHHELPP as an opportunity to serve.